Baltimore Workers’ Compensation Lawyers: Hazards Posed by CranesJune 6, 2016
Cranes are able to lift and move large, heavy objects that no other piece of machinery would be able to do. It is common to see cranes lifting large pieces of scaffolding, steel beams, or other types of heavy, industrial materials at a construction site. Cranes can also be extremely dangerous if something goes wrong, or if the crane is not operated properly. According to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), crane accidents are responsible for approximately 70 deaths each year, which is significant considering the number of crane accidents in relation to the number of workers who are exposed to cranes.
Fatal crane accidents are caused by incidences like falling loads, a crane tipping over, or mechanical fires. As a result of the number of deaths that crane accidents can cause, OSHA developed a list of safety measures for crane operators aimed at preventing serious injuries and fatalities, including:
- Automatic alarm system and shut down if there is a fire
- Boom tip camera for improved visibility
- Extra brake system installed in case primary brakes fail
- Brake system that will automatically brake if the control system malfunctions
- Hands-free communication system that enables operators to keep both hands on the controls
- Hydraulic system that maintains the appropriate level of hydraulic fluid
- Load holding valves that will lock in place should a hose rupture
- Manual emergency stop command
- Two-way communication systems
Working with or near cranes can pose a range of hazards, so safety should always be a top priority. Training employees on how to properly operate a crane, and the precautions employees should take when in the vicinity of a crane, can save lives. Communication is also important, as employees should be able to voice their concerns about any potentially dangerous situations that may arise. If you are injured in a crane accident, it is in your best interest to contact someone who can walk you through the claims process for Workers’ Compensation.
Baltimore Workers’ Compensation Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Represent Victims of Crane Accidents
Crane accidents can cause massive damage, resulting in serious, sometimes fatal injuries. Baltimore Workers’ Compensation lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton know how complicated the claims process can be and we will make sure that you receive the financial compensation you deserve. For a complimentary case review, call us today at 844-556-4LAW (4529) or contact us online.