Baltimore Workers’ Compensation Lawyers: Overexertion Tops Workplace Injury ListJanuary 22, 2016
According to the index, overexertion involving external sources ranked first among the leading causes of disabling work-related injuries. In 2013, more than $15 billion in Workers’ Compensation was awarded to people who suffered an overexertion injury on the job, accounting for nearly one quarter of the national worker injury costs. Overexertion injuries include those related to lifting, pushing, pulling, holding, carrying or throwing objects. Though these types of injuries can happen in any work setting, those who work in the construction industry or in other manual labor-intensive occupations are most at risk. The most common types of overexertion injuries include back injuries, neck strain, joint or tendon injuries and muscle strains.
Below is the complete list of the top ten causes of disabling U.S. workplace injuries and the total amount of Workers’ Compensation benefits awarded for each (in billions) during the year 2013.
- Overexertion involving outside sources – 24.4% ($15.08)
- Falls on same level – 16.4% ($10.17)
- Falls to lower level – 8.7% ($5.40)
- Struck by object or equipment – 8.6% ($5.31)
- Other exertions or bodily reactions – 6.7% ($4.15)
- Roadway incidents involving motorized land vehicle – 4.8% ($2.96)
- Slip or trip without fall – 3.8% ($2.35)
- Caught in/compressed by equipment or objects – 3.2% ($1.97)
- Struck against object or equipment – 3.0% ($1.85)
- Repetitive motions involving micro-tasks – 2.9% ($1.82)
Baltimore Workers’ Compensation Lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton Fight For Those Who Have Been Injured on the Job
Baltimore Workers’ Compensation lawyers at LeViness, Tolzman & Hamilton have extensive experience helping individuals get the benefits they need and deserve after suffering a work-related injury. Contact us online or call 844-556 4LAW (4529) today to schedule a free consultation with one of our seasoned and dedicated Workers’ Compensation lawyers. A qualified member of our legal team is available to take your call and answer your questions 24 hours a day.